FIT SERIES | Sweaters!
This product is sold out
Join us for our Fit Series on Friday mornings at our brick-and-mortar shop as individual sessions, or sign up for all 4 classes and get $5 off per session ($20 savings)! Please review our Class Policies here before registering.
Take one or all of these classes to learn simple fitting techniques and gain confidence in adjusting a sweater pattern. All classes will refer to the pattern Flax by Tin Can Knits and be taught by Lynn Marie (see bio below).
Class Topics, Dates, & Times | Sessions are on Fridays from 10:30am-noon October 27 - November 17 at our brick-and-mortar shop. Individual class topics and dates are provided below for each session.
Skills Needed | Basic knitting skills (cast on, knit, purl, knitting in the round, bind off) and a desire to knit sweaters that fit. Previous sweater knitting is not required, but if you're new to sweater knitting, Class 1 is a pre-requisite.
CLASS 1 - 10/27/23: Dissecting and demystifying your sweater pattern to achieve a better fit
Class Description & Topics Covered | Learn to read a sweater pattern and understand what it is telling you.
- How and where to take your measurements
- How to pick the best size for you
- Understand positive and negative ease
- Read and understand the designers finished garment schematic
CLASS 2 - 11/3/23: Necklines
Class Description & Topics Covered | Learn how to adjust your neckline for a comfortable and flattering fit
- How to lower or raise a neckline
- How to widen or narrow a neckline
- Understand how your changes may affect the shape and aesthetic of the neckline
CLASS 3 - 11/10/23: Blending sizes, improving balance, and adjusting length
Class Description & Topics Covered | Learn what to do if areas of your body fall into different size ranges and adjust length and balance to work for your body. Example: bust measurement is a Large, but waist measurement is a Medium.
- How to adjust the patterns increases/decreases match your body measurements and slide between sizes
- How to improve balance by changing placement increase/decrease technique
- Make simple math equations to improve your fit
- How to pick the best length for your body type
- How changing the length will affect the overall aesthetic of your sweater
CLASS 4 - 11/17/23: Sleeves, Sleeves, and More Sleeves
Class Description & Topics Covered | Learn to adjust your armhole depth, sleeve cap, and sleeve length to get the perfect fit for your body.
- How to lower or raise an armhole for both raglan and set in sleeve styles
- How to adjust your sleeve cap height to match your new armhole depth
- How and where to add width to your sleeve cap and raglan sleeve head
- How to adjust your sleeve length while maintaining a flattering sleeve width
Instructor Bio: Lynn Marie has worked in the commercial apparel industry for close to 20 years as a designer, technical designer, and product developer for sweaters and knitwear. She translates her extensive fitting experience to be applicable and accessible for the hand knitter. She is an avid knitter, sewist, crafter, and vintage enthusiast.