G-ULD's popular Danish book about natural dyeing, En Farverig Verden (2015) by Anne Støvlbæk Kjær & Louise Schelde Frederiksen's is now available in English!
Plant dyeing is thought to be difficult and to demand several years of experience to achieve a good result, but that is not necessarily so. Plant dyeing is an activity in which everyone can take part. It does not demand any particular skills and good results can come even with the first dye bath.
The book is a simple, easy-to-follow guide to getting started with natural dyeing, introducing and giving an overview of colours, plants, fibres and tools along with basic recipes for lasting colours.
The primary focus of the book is dyeing on wool but it also briefly introduces other fibres and woven fabrics.
• A short history of natural dyeing with plants in Nordic culture.
• A beginner’s guide on how to get started with natural dyeing and collecting plants in nature.
• An overview of colours and fibres suitable for natural dyeing.
• Recipes for dyeing with fresh and dried plant material.
• An overview of plant materials to collect in Nordic nature and which to buy such as madder root, cochineal and indigo.
• A guide to preparing yarn and fabric for dyeing that lasts.
• A guide to tools used in the various processes dyeing.
• 8 recipes covering mordanting, dyeing with fresh and dried plants as well as historic dyes such as indigo, madder root and cochineal.
About the authors / g-uld
Anne Støvlbæk Kjær / graphic designer
Louise Schelde Frederiksen / archaeologist
G-uld was established back in 2013 by Anne Støvlbæk Kjær & Louise Schelde Frederiksen.
Our work is based on high standards of workmanship respecting and understanding the materials we work with, quality and nature. When dyeing, we use materials rooted in old traditions and aim to merge past with present in the results.
At G-uld we make a living from dyeing yarn naturally, selling it online in our web shop and from our farm shop in Ravning, outside Vejle, Denmark. Furthermore, we provide workshops for local as well as international participants and through online platforms we present information and inspiration about natural dyeing.
Our mission is above all to inform about and pass on the craft, produce appealing, naturally dyed yarn, beautiful design and inspiration.