Knitalong (KAL), what’s that about?
For those of you wondering what this Knitalong (KAL) thing is all about, read on:
What is a KAL?
Simply put, a knitalong (KAL) is a group of knitters working on individual projects with a common theme (project, pattern, yarn...). At Firefly Fibers, we select the yarn & pattern and test knit a shop sample in advance so all you have to do when we announce the project is choose your color. This last part is easier said than done!
We currently run seasonal knitalongs (approximately every 3 months) to provide flexibility for participation and completion of your project before the end date. Our goal is to inspire you with a project that is will smoothly transition from WIP to a fabulous FO when you put the time into it.
Why should you participate?
Inspiration and timelines! Knitalongs are a great opportunity to try something new (pattern, yarn, technique) that you might not have otherwise selected.
The second reason is that you are on a timeline to finish - our KAL projects can realistically be completed during the given timeline, even with a busy lifestyle or starting well after our start date.
Yes, sharing! We can all learn a little from each other, so sharing the KAL experience can add some great tips and tricks to your knitting toolkit!
It’s fun to see how the same project works up in other colors! Some knitters get creative and make modifications or discover tricks along the way to enhance the knitting experience. Let’s be inspired and learn from each other!
Who can participate?
Anyone can participate in our knitalongs! When we announce the project, visit us at the shop for the listed Firefly Fibers supplies and cast on!
Join us at the shop during one of our two weekly open knitting sessions to work on your project with other knitters!
If our shop isn’t accessible to you, you can still join the fun! If the yarn is available in our online shop, we'll indicate that with the KAL posting and you can order online.
Be sure to join the Firefly Fibers Ravelry Group for chatting about the project, asking questions and interacting with the other knitters working on the Knitalong project. Remember, online interaction is available 24/7 so it's great way to participate and share over long-distances or if you have a busy schedule.
In-Store Knitalong Appreciation
We appreciate your participation in our knitalongs and we want to thank YOU just for joining, so...
- When you purchase the listed Firefly Fibers Knitalong supplies at Firefly Fibers during the knitalong timeframe, let us know you are participating in the knitalong and you'll receive a voucher good for 10% off the listed Firefly Fibers Knitalong supplies on ONE of the next TWO knitalongs.
- Yes, we want to thank you with 10% off on future knitalong supplies just for joining!
- THEN, when you finish your knitalong by the finish date, bring it into the shop for an FO photo and you'll get an additional 10% off on one of the next two knitalongs!
- Yes, that means 20% off supplies on one of our future knitalongs by joining & finishing on time!
- Our In-Store Knitalong Incentive is available in our brick-and-mortar shop only - we issue a physical KAL card for joining and these incentive cards need to be presented in person for the discount on a future KAL (sorry, we're currently unable accept these cards in our online shop). But... if you order the KAL yarn online and will be at the shop sometime over the next 2 KAL's and would like to us include a KAL card with your order, just leave us a note when you check out and we're happy to include this when we ship your order - remember, the FO needs to be brought into the shop for a photo for the additional 10% and the KAL card can only be redeemed in person at the shop.
If you have any additional questions or comments, please contact us!